The sacral architecture of Vinodol is extremely interesting and diverse. Pre-Romanesque is present in the foundations of the Gothic Church of St. Stjepan in Drivenik and in the Church of St. Juraj on the hill between Bribir and Selce.

In the Gothic style with a shift towards the Renaissance, the Church of St. Peter and Paul, Church of St. Anton Pustinjak in Bribir, Chapel of St. Martin in Podskoči and a little later the Church of St. Martin in Grižane, as well as the extended Church of Our Lady of the Snows in Belgrade. The Church of Our Lady of the Snows is extremely valuable because of the numerous inscriptions on the Glagolitic alphabet, as well as because of the extremely valuable bellows organ from the 18th century.

Of the paintings, the painting “Washing the feet” by Jacop Palma Jr. is especially valuable. which is located in the Church of St. Peter and Paul where a very valuable Renaissance sanctuary and a relief of the Virgin are also stored. The Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary to Elizabeth in Tribalj is mentioned as a place of trial according to the Vinodol Code.

The princes Frankopani and Zrinski encouraged the construction of churches and art, so during their reign in Vinodol over thirty churches, chapels and crosses were built.


St. Peter and Paul Church

It was built in 1524 in the place of the old church which must have existed already during the time when the Law Codex of Vinodol has been drawn up in 1288, and probably even earlier. It was expanded, re-decorated and re-arranged in a baroque manner during the first half of the 18th century. It was burned at the end of 1944, and renewed in the 1980’s.
mask2 1

The rich treasury of St. Peter and Paul parish church contains a Renaissance relief of Mother of God with Christ, or the White Lady, a work of Florentine painters which designed it in white marble; a painting by Jacop Palma Jr. called “Washing of Christ’s Feet”, which is a significant work of art. Also significant are Renaissance custodia with an iron grate from the 15th century and the main marble altar designed by the sculptor Antonio Michelazzi. The crucifix of bishops of Krbava, the so-called Milonja’s Crucifix from the 13th century, which was brought to Vinodol by bishop Modruša Krištafor, also belongs to St. Peter and Paul Church, but it is preserved in Rijeka.

Bribir was in the possession of the Frankopans in the 13th century, when its representatives participated in the enactment of the Law Codex of Vinodol in 1288, then the Counts of Celje, and was the royal town of Matija Korvin, and then held by the Zrinski family until 1671 and the execution of Petar Zrinski in Wiener Neustadt.

The mentioned parish church of St. Peter and Paul is a three-nave Baroque building with a bell tower on the facade, built in 1524 on the site of an old church, as evidenced by the Glagolitic inscription. It most probably already existed at the time of the adoption of the Law Codex of Vinodol in 1288, and very probably even earlier. It was expanded, redecorated and baroqued in the first half of the 18th century, but it was set on fire together with the Old Town, the municipality and the school by the Chetniks of the Dinaric Division, retreating towards Rijeka at the end of 1944. It is the only Catholic church in the whole area destroyed by the followers of the “duke” Draža Mihailović, when the entire church archive and library were burnt down. It was rebuilt in the 1980’s during the pastorate of Ante Cindrić.

Coordinates of this location not found
Skip to content