A spring is a natural water source of which there are many found in the Vinodol. However, during the long summer months, many springs used to run dry, and the need for water was great. This is the reason water had to collected, walled-in, protected and made available to people. This is how these structures, commonly known as studenci (water wells) were created; a result of human needs, efforts and work.
More than fifty (?) springs have been explored and recorded in the surroundings of Drivenik, Grižane and Bribir, although their actual number is greater – the springs were walled-in by beautiful, carved stone in the second half of the 19th century. It is the work of local stone-masons who often decorated these small structures by various ornaments, which also proves their aesthetic value, along with their utilitarian value.
Although many older springs were undated, the following years were carved into some stones: 1842 (Kričina), 1866 (Drivenik), 1876 (Barci), 1877 (Podskoči), 1881 (Miroši), 1889 (Grižane).
In the beginning of the 20th century, activities on the protection of springs were intensified, probably stimulated by the local authorities. This is the reason why the majority of Vinodol’s springs were created in the first half of the 20th century, most of them in the 1930s. Application of new technologies in this period is visible in the use of concrete. However, beautiful stone frames around metal gates which close and protect the spring were often carved in during the construction (for example, Marušići, Barci, Belgrad, Bašunje …).
This period was marked in some settlements by laying down of the water supply system from the closest spring to the settlement in order to make water more available to the inhabitants. This was a result of the locals’ efforts. In 1902, water from the Belgrad’s spring of Dobrovica was led to Kamenjak, in 1935 from the Jurišino spring to the centre of Bribir, in 1942 two taps were built in Goričine (Drivenik) from the Babljak spring, etc.
Most springs had been in use until the 1970s, but when the water supply system started supplying the settlements of Vinodol with water, the springs were abandoned and forgotten.